This issue of The Progress of Education Reform will address the following questions:
- What is credit recovery? What is proficiency-based credit?
- How is credit recovery different from traditional remediation?
- Why does providing for these options matter for high school completion?
- How widespread are these options across the states? And what do state policies look like?
- What are the challenges in implementing credit recovery and proficiency-based credit
- What does the research say on the effectiveness of credit recovery and proficiency-based
- What are the essential policy components?
(Jennifer Dounay Zinth, Education Commission of the States, June 2011)