Welcome to the Postsecondary Governance
Developed in partnership with the National Center for Higher Education Management Systems (NCHEMS) and the State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO)
Why this issue matters
- State postsecondary governance structures are critical to how state postsecondary policy is implemented and funding appropriated.
- Accountability in postsecondary education is a function of postsecondary governance.
- Issues of institutional autonomy and state control are often defined through the state governance structure.
- Governance can determine the extent that postsecondary education achieves statewide goals.
How the database was developed
- The database is a revision of the Postsecondary Structures Sourcebook that was drafted in 1997, revised in 2000 and again revised in 2007.
- The project is a partnership of the National Center for Higher Education Systems, State Higher Education Executive Officers and the Education Commission of the States.
- The database was revised through a grant from the Ford Foundation.
Related information and resources
Education Commission of the States
National Center for Higher Education Management Systems
vice president for Research and Information Resources